Monday, January 4, 2010

Land of Opportunity

Falling asleep I realized that I hadn't packed lunch for work in the morning. I got out of bed, threw my flannel jammie top and padded down the hall to the kitchen. Looking in the refrigerator I noticed that the small remainder of a beautiful fruit bouquet I received for my birthday was looking piqued so I took it to the furnace room to dispose of it. Once there I saw that some pieces were still edible. Crouching over the compost bin I pulled the little fruits on sticks out of their foam, nibbling off all the little bits that didn't feel like hairless Chihuahua skin. Gnawing the innards out of a suede-y cantaloupe slice I fiddled with the decorative kale that had come packed around the sticks.

"I bet you I could boil this up and eat it!" I thought, immediately moving to take the kale I'd just thrown away out of the compost bin.

The pathetic nature of these thoughts and actions suddenly hit me. Recent college grad, 45$ in the bank, asking my roommate to hold the rent check so that I can deposit enough to cover it, squatting like Golum over the compost, eating old veggies and contemplating pulling more out of the moldy bin.

"Is this the land of exciting opportunities the graduation speaker promised me?" I mused aloud.

"I dunno," my roommate called from the other room, "but eating a fruit bouquet pantsless seems pretty damned decadent to me."

Thank you Esther for putting it into perspective.

2 comments:

anthony0358 said...

At least this post made me smile
Are we all going to look back on these times as the Good Ol Days

Anonymous said...

I have more than a few of those moments where I stand in front of the trash can doing whatever it may be with whatever object i am about to throw away contemplating if I really need to do it, and so many times I find myself, making my own trash my new treasure.