Sunday, January 24, 2010

How Models Pack

I am endlessly interested in the way things fit together and organize themselves so I find the way I pack my suitcase -as a model- really interesting so I like to share. I'm pretty sure that I've already talked about this, but I can totally do it again :) I practically get off on this shit.

In the first layer of packing things in the suitcase it's important to pack things around the spines in a way that allows things to move but not crush or break.

Step 1)Pack toiletries and curlers. I've had a ton of beauty items asplode so they're all in that little baggie. Minimum damage. Also, it's at the bottom of the bag (I shot lots of this upside down and I didn't feel like turning the photos over) I'm hoping that gravity will work with me in case things burst.












Step 2)Pack other things that need to be straight and protected, like corsets, in amongst the spines of the suitcase.
















Step 3)If you pack the shoes like they came in the shoebox in the tightest, closest way you can you can fit more shoes. This is seven pairs of shoes. SEVEN. Oh, and I forgot my curler clips, so I put those on top of the curlers themselves.















Step 4)Pack in amongst the shoes small squishy things like panties and socks, bras. I love my little bra ball up there in the corner.















Step 5) Now we start the second layer, everything that needs to be folded fits in like puzzle pieces. Shirts, skirts, pants. This is half of one layer shot sideways to sort of show how it is all layered and shit.









Step 6) Now that the clothing is layered I add my running shoes and (in this case) a latex dress, carefully protected in its plastic bag.















Step 7) To bring small amounts of things to shoots and since my suitcase is basically always overweight (I'm maybe too efficient with the packing) I add this little canvas bag. I've had this bag since I was a kid going off to summer camp.










Step 8)Small stuff that I've forgotten to pack and then delicate things like pantyhose and stockings in bags go in the front pockets. And we're done!

*an after-note, this time my suitcase was 3 lbs overweight. That's two pairs of jeans and three dildoes. Aaand it's sad that I have it so much down to a science that I can tell you how much things like that generally weigh.

4 comments:

D. Claude Katz said...

Asplode? Can that happen to anything other than someone's head? :)

For things that I worry about leaking or exploding, I sometimes use two levels of Ziploc bags, because in my experience, one level of protection is not always enough. (It just occurred to me, someone ought to design a 2-layer condom.) For example, there might be a small Ziploc bag for liquids in small jars, another for ointments/pastes, another larger one for a jar of shaving cream, and all 3 of those bags are inside a larger one.

How do you keep the bottoms of your shoes clean enough that you're comfortable having them in there with your delicates? (Or are you, like, not neurotic?)

anthony0358 said...

I love this blog and my girlfriend also uses Aqua Net

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's ll good and junk like that, but where do the handcuffs and duct tape go?

Anonymous said...

A-splodin is great for anything! I really get into packing as well, i always think of it like a super tetris game, whether it is for a trip or loading a vehicle or fitting things into a storage unit I find solace in knowing I have so much crammed in but yet safe and protected to not cause damage and having everything I need. I'm like a boyscout when it comes to preparation.